The first indication that Laxey should have its own church was on April 20th 1850 when the 'Manx Sun' reported "Laxey Glen, the population of this romantic spot has now become so numerous that it is proposed to build a new church contiguous with the mines and efforts are now in the making by influential parties to carry this desirable object into speedy execution."
The population of Laxey increased by 25% in the late 1840's largely due to the arrival of an industry providing many jobs. After early explorations for lead (with silver, zinc and copper 1848 was a significant year when the Laxey Mining Company was established, later to become the Great Laxey Mining Company. George Dumbell who was chairman of the Laxey Mining Company set out to build a church in the centre of Laxey so that nobody could complain that a place of worship was too far away.
The building style of Christ Church was described at the time as 'early English, both externally and internally very effective in appearance. The open benches, the pulpit, reading desk, rafters and all the woodworks are stained in a dark oak colour and the windows in the chancel have a border of stained glass, Although there is no great ornament attempt, everything is constructed in the most substantial and well finished manner.